Functional skills are a compulsory requirement for all apprentices who do not hold a GSCE or equivalent qualifications in English or Maths. Functional Skills have been designed by employers to contextualise Maths and English content to help learners apply these skills in real-life work settings.
Learners who have not achieved a pass at Level 2, ‘C’ grade or grade 4 at GCSE (or equivalent) will need to enrol on the relevant functional skills qualification to achieve their full apprenticeship. This is a government requirement of the core subjects to be completed.
Functional Skills - English
- The Level 2 Functional Skills - English course has been designed to equip learners with the confidence, fluency and accuracy in the following areas: reading, writing, and speaking, listening and communication.
- These three components are assessed through written and oral assessments and should provide underpinning knowledge, to help learners to communicate effectively within the workplace.
- The overall recommended duration of the course is 55 hours. However, this is circumstantial depending on the current ability of the learner.
- The speaking, listening and communication assessment consists of two tasks; a presentation followed by a discussion. The assessment is marked internally and learners are given adequate time and resources to prepare.
- The reading and writing assessments are marked externally and are largely completed through online examination software. Learners use our BKSB platform, specialist teaching resources and the support from tutors to help prepare for these assessments.
Click Here to see the government qualification standards for Functional Skills - English
Functional Skills - Mathematics
- The Level 2 Functional Skills - Mathematics qualification aims to develop the underpinning, practical and problem-solving skills that are used in life, study and work.
- The Three main areas of subject content consist of numbers including; measure, shape, space, statistics and data.
- These are assessed in a two-hour exam where both non-calculator and calculator skills are tested.
Click Here to see the government qualification standards for Functional Skills - Mathematics
Support at Pareto
Pareto Law provides a range of teaching and learning methods to prepare you to achieve the functional skills qualifications. In addition to an online teaching platform, you will have access to a variety of resources to suit your learning style, and also a dedicated functional skills coach to support you throughout your learning journey.
"Thanks to Kate Roffey (Functional Skills Lead), who's support and advice was paramount to me getting the assessment presentation and delivery right."
- Kurt Noreiga, Team Leader Level 3 Apprenticeship
"I’m currently completing a Team Leader Level 3 Apprenticeship with Pareto Law. As part of this it is required to undertake the Functional Skills in English and Maths. At first, I was a bit unsure of some of the topics and how best to progress but once I started working with Kate Roffey everything fell into place.
It’s been a long time since I last used Maths formulas, doing long division and multiplication. Kate very quickly helped me on how to approach specific problems. She also helped me to think about English in terms of audience and purpose, which really helped me to make quick progress with the skills courses.
If you are in a similar position with regards to your Maths and English, I really recommend taking up the one-to-one support by a functional skills coach."
- Tom Winterburn, Team Leader Level 3 Apprenticeship